Well, it’s the 11th and we’re still waiting on Apple over here. Yeah, it was supposed to be in the store today but as of right now it’s not there. Of course “today” isn’t over so we’ll see what develops!
That being the case and not knowing when they will go live with our application, I’m going to go ahead and answer some of the burning questions rather than waiting on Apple to release it before we talk about it.
OK, so here it is, the big question we keep hearing. Will eWallet for iPhone sync? Will you be able to use your old wallets in eWallet on iPhone? And the answer is:
“Yes…but not until August”
I’ll wait for the shouting to die down then I’ll continue. And please do read on as I think it will help to illuminate the reasoning behind our decision.
What the…? No Sync?
We have the means to sync, but one thing that folks who have been with us for awhile know is that we’re perfectionists. When we put a feature in, by god it had better work exactly the way it is supposed to. In fact, it should work better than we planned it.
So, while we have the capability to sync, there were things we just weren’t happy with. As the submission date for iPhone applications loomed we realized that we had three choices:
Option 1: Jam It In
We could have just jammed it all in and hurried it to market. We really can do this if we want to. The problem is that this sort of decision is almost guaranteed to bite you later. It would have gotten the app out to everyone, with all features intact, but at what cost?
Option 2: Wait Until It Is Done
We’ve chosen this option numerous times in previous projects. If the app isn’t where we want it to be, we just don’t release until it is. That’s one of the reasons we so seldom announce release dates. We like the flexibility to say “It isn’t perfect! Back to your computer code monkey!” We could have done this for iPhone eWallet but we knew that our competitors would be there early on. The folks who are really loyal to us might have waited until August, but new customers (of which we believe there will be many) who don’t really understand the value of sync yet anyhow, wouldn’t wait. We just couldn’t choose this one.
Option 3: A Two-Stage Launch
That left us with one final option. We get everything we can done by the launch date, make eWallet the best on-device secure password manager out there, and plan to release an update in August that adds full sync capability to eWallet.
Seriously Dude, That Sucks
Yeah, we know. We’re sorry we couldn’t have put the whole thing together in time for the launch but there’s only so much we can do. As you saw, we weren’t just doing eWallet for iPhone here. We still have a strong commitment to the platforms we already support (ie: eWallet 6.1). But don’t worry, there is some good news…
Why the August Sync Update Rocks
When the sync update goes out here is what you can look forward to:
- Same Desktop Version:No new or different desktop versions needed! The standard eWallet software for Windows PC will be all you need. We might release a 6.1.1 version to make the process even easier but you won’t even need to upgrade if you don’t want to.
- Complete Compatibility With Old Wallets:No conversions of your data. No limits about whether your data is supported. It’s your wallet, on the iPhone.
- Same Flexibility: Sync with as many devices as you like, sync to other computers, sync to the cloud…it’s all there still.
- Same Power:I have to say that we have one of the best sync engines around. It’s stable, smart, and fast. You get all the same power for iPhone sync.
- Sync From Anywhere:You can sync your iPhone wallet from anywhere at anytime! No need to be tethered to your PC.
- Skip the PC Completely:Don’t have a Windows PC? Don’t want a Windows PC? Not a problem. Sync straight to the eWallet Web Companion for easy backups and desktop access to your data.
We Won’t Let You Down
So never fear. We’ve made it our business to not let our customers down. I can confidently say that eWallet synching for iPhone is fantastic and I really believe you’ll like it as well. What is more, I think that once everyone has their hands on it they’ll agree that it was worth the wait!
Now let’s go Apple! Get us into the store!
[…] Here’s the latest on the eWallet for iPhone release: Ilium Software Blog